Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's too quiet.

The wind is lightly blowing outside, making the day comfortably cool and our front door is open to let some of the fresh air in.

There is a mixed emotion in moments like these. It's nice to have the time to enjoy doing nothing, even if only for five minutes. Relaxation, as an adult, is hard to come by without some sort of artificial help. Since I've always been a square, I have to drink in these moments and appreciate them when I can.

However...

I am a city girl. I love noise. I miss everything about the city that we lack here. The traffic, the shopping, the hole-in-the-wall markets or shops, the CHOICE of where you would like to get coffee on a lazy Sunday and the people. There aren't very many people around here that I can relate to. Because of that, I have one local friend. One. Mary was an Army brat in her early life, but was raised here after that and is most definitely a local. But Tosha, Stacey and Alicia are not. Even Tabby (my surrogate daughter, if you will) is an Army brat. And all my military friends are going to be gone in less than a year.

Let me see if I can help my West Coast friends understand the people in Missouri. Or, at least, small towns in Missouri. Springfield and St. Louis definitely have their share of diversity. But people here in the Waynesville/St. Robert area are generally... emotionless. They don't get overly excited or upset about anything. It's like there are small amounts of thorazine in the water supply. And they seem to be foreign to the ways of sarcasm. Okay, there is a big thing for me. Sarcasm is basically my first language. So I am really awkward when trying to joke around these people.

Not to mention that this place is in the Northern tip of the Bible Belt. I have no issues with people celebrating their religion, but there are a lot of restrictions on how everyone else enjoys their entertainment. Don't get me wrong... there is a really skeezy strip club on the outskirts of St. Robert, but that's not really my thing. They control what movies play here. Sadly, that has meant lately than anything supposedly intelligent or independent has been cast aside for things like Jackass 3-D.

Jackass, ladies and gentlemen, is our nation's first step towards "Ow, My Balls". See Idiocracy if you were lost on that reference.

All this just adds up into a feeling of being caged. We go to the city as often as we can, but money is always a big issue in life, so it's not as often as either of us would like. Maybe one or both of us will get lucky in our chosen professions and have the available funding to move. I think Josh would really like Seattle.

And I really miss Seattle.

2 comments:

  1. No, no no. Jackass is a much much later step on the way to Ow My Balls. (Also, I think that Jackass is a bit more multifaceted than people give it credit for. Not a lot, mind you, but a bit.) The stunningly obvious first step to Ow My Balls is clearly America's Funniest Home Videos. That show is just clip after clip of people getting hurt. Period. I've been making that comparison for a long time. Jackass has a lot more stupid things going on than just pain, and they've even got funny and pseudo-intelligent banter going on throughout. At the very least, AFV came out way before Jackass.

    Anyway, I hate AFV with the fire of a thousand suns and I saw Jackass in the theater last weekend. And I'd never watch Ow My Balls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On second thought, I think another really important difference is the self-awareness of both shows, AFV is really just a guy standing there going "isn't it funny? Hur hur" whereas Jackass is a bunch of guys going "can you believe people pay us to do this shit? How stupid is that?"

    AFV has no sense of self-awareness, it's simply for uneducated middle America sitting on their couches. Jackass is for people who can't help but laugh at people being stupid (and isn't that really all of us) but are also aware that the people watching are just as stupid. When I watch AFV I simply feel sickened by people laughing at something so simple. When I watch Jackass, I feel like all of us- the actors and the audience both- are having a collective laugh at the whole situation and how stupid we both are.

    ReplyDelete