Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fictional lives seem much more interesting.

I just finished reading Good Grief by Lolly Winston and I find myself simultaneously lusting after the main character's life while noticing the similarities with my own.

I love the idea of her starting life over (after the death of her husband) in Ashland, Oregon... in ways she never imagined her life would be. It's a fantastically written novel of re-discovering life. I seem to have an odd fondness for books with that sort of storyline. One of my absolute favorites is How To Talk To A Widower by Jonathan Tropper. EXCELLENT book. I cannot stress that enough. Fabulous writing that sucks you in to be sympathetic with the main character's struggle.

And now, with a similar book, Lolly Winston has forever won her way into my heart. Her other book that I've read is Happiness Sold Separately... which is about a woman dealing with the troubles of divorce. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as this one.

God, I love good books.

I always wonder if Josh and I will end up with some sort of patched-together life like the characters I come to love. Will we pseudo-adpot a random teenager who can use the support? Are we going to end up somewhere new, exciting and maybe a bit odd?

Funny thing is... I already have the teenager in my life. I feel like Tabby's aunt or Big Sister some days. It's nice to be around someone who has their whole life still in front of them, knowing that I might be able to make even a small contribution to her not wasting it.

For now, I will embrace the life I have. Me, the husband, the girls and the kitties.

No comments:

Post a Comment